Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Breast Cancer Clear and Simple or Mens Health Best Turn Fat into Muscle

Breast Cancer Clear and Simple: All Your Questions Answered

Author: American Cancer Society

Concise answers--FAST!--to all your questions about breast cancer

Using a helpful Q&A format, Breast Cancer Clear & Simple addresses your key questions about what to expect, what to do, and how to navigate through the cancer experience. Aimed at easing your fears and encouraging you to become informed about your health care choices, the book provides all the essential facts, behavior guidance, and support you need.

American Cancer Society is a trusted provider of unbiased general information and personalized cancer-related health information and guidance. Its goals emphasize prevention, early detection, and screening; comprehensive treatment information that can help patients make informed decisions; practical answers to patients' questions about work, insurance, money, and planning for the future; and strategies for coping with the physical symptoms and emotional effects of cancer.



Table of Contents:
Introduction     1
About this book     1
How to use this book     2
Finding Out Your Have Breast Cancer     3
The doctor told me I have breast cancer. What do I do now?     3
What will happen to me?     4
Will I be okay?     4
Will I lose my breast?     5
What if I do need my breast removed?     5
Will I be in pain?     6
My friend had breast cancer. Will the same things happen to me?     7
My loved one had another kind of cancer. Should I expect the same things to happen to me?     8
What is breast cancer?     9
Why me?     10
Am I to blame for my breast cancer?     10
If I don't feel sick, do I really have cancer?     11
How serious is my cancer?     12
How do doctors know how serious my cancer is?     12
The doctor says my breast cancer has spread. What does that mean?     13
What does "cancer grade" mean?     14
What does "cancer stage" mean?     15
How big is the tumor?     16
Does my doctor know how well I will respond to treatment?     17
What does the doctor mean by "prognosis"?     18
Why doesn't the doctor use the word"cure"?     19
Do I need a second opinion?     20
How do I get a second opinion?     21
Won't the first doctor be mad if I want to talk to someone else?     22
Questions to ask the doctor who told you about your cancer     23
Treating Your Breast Cancer     25
Who will help with my cancer treatment?     25
Can I choose my doctor?     25
What should I think about when choosing a doctor?     26
Where will I go for treatment?     27
Who else will care for me?     28
Questions to ask a doctor who may treat you     30
How to talk to your doctor     32
What's the best way to treat my breast cancer?     34
What kind of treatment will I get!     34
How do I know if doctors are suggesting the best treatment?     35
How is surgery used to treat breast cancer?     36
How do I decide between the two types of surgery?     38
More questions to ask the doctor about surgery     39
What should I expect after a mastectomy?     42
What should I expect after a lumpectomy?     44
How is radiation therapy used to treat breast cancer?     46
How is chemotherapy used to treat breast cancer?      47
How is hormone therapy used to treat breast cancer?     48
How is monoclonal antibody therapy used to treat breast cancer?     49
What should I know about herbs, dietary supplements, or special diets used to treat cancer?     50
Help making your treatment choices     51
What is a clinical trial?     52
Question to ask the doctor about treatments     54
What do I need to know about side effects from treatment?     56
What are side effects?     56
Will treatment make me feel sick?     58
Will I lose my hair?     60
Will I feel tired?     62
What is lymphedema, and will I get it?     64
Could I have other side effects?     67
Is there help for any pain I might have?     68
Can I cope with side effects like pain without medicine?     69
Will I be able to have children after treatment?     72
Questions to ask the doctor about side effects     73
How can I pay for treatment?     75
What if I don't have health insurance?     75
What do Medicare and Medicaid pay for?     75
Are there private groups that can help me pay for my treatment and other costs?     78
What if I can't pay my bills?      79
What is private health insurance and what does it pay for?     80
What if my insurance claim is turned down?     81
Questions to ask the hospital billing department     82
What is breast cancer "survivor"?     84
How will cancer and treatment affect me and my loved ones?     85
Does anyone feel the way I do?     85
How can I feel more in control of my life?     87
Keeping a journal may help     89
How can I find help and support?     91
I told my family that I have breast cancer. Why are they acting strangely?     92
How will cancer affect my friendships?     93
How can I talk to family and friends about cancer?     94
How will cancer treatment affect my life at home?     95
Can anyone help me with day-to-day challenges?     96
Questions to ask the doctor about life during treatment     97
How will cancer and treatment affect my work?     99
Is it better to work during treatment or take time off?     99
Should I tell people at work that I have cancer?     100
Could I lose my job if I have to take time off?     101
How can I get ready to take time off from work?     103
Can I get help with money if I'm not able to work?      104
Questions to ask the doctor about work     105
Recovering from Treatment     107
What if my breast was removed?     107
Will I ever get used to the changes in my body?     107
What are my choices after a mastectomy?     109
How can I look like I have two full breasts if I don't want surgery to make a new breast?     110
What should I know about a breast form?     111
What is breast reconstruction surgery?     113
Can I have breast reconstruction surgery?     115
What should I know about breast reconstruction?     116
Questions to ask the doctor about breast reconstruction     118
Is my cancer gone forever?     121
What if my cancer comes back?     121
Can I lower my chances that the cancer will come back?     122
How will I know if my cancer comes back?     123
When should I call the doctor?     124
Questions to ask the doctor about checkups and cancer coming back     125
How can I be close with someone after cancer and treatment?     126
How will cancer and treatment affect my sex life?     126
Should I talk about my cancer with someone new I'm dating!     127
How can I stay healthy from now on?     128
What can I do to keep my body healthy?     128
How can I eat right after cancer treatment?     129
How should I exercise after cancer treatment?     131
How can I get back to living my life?     133
Can I live a normal life again?     133
What do I do now?     135
More Information
How should women get checked for breast cancer?     137
Can you help me understand breast cancer risk?     139
What does it mean if I am "at risk" for breast cancer?     139
What risk factors increase a woman's chances of getting breast cancer?     140
Are other women in my family more likely to get breast cancer?     141
Can anything lower a person's chances of getting breast cancer?     142
I've heard that smoking and breast implants can increase your chances of getting breast cancer. Is that true?     143
How can I have breast cancer if no one in my family has had it?     144
More about cancer grades     145
More about cancer stages     146
On my pathology report, what do the letters T, N, and M and the numbers 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 mean?     146
My doctor says I have stage IIIA breast cancer. How are the letters T, N, and M and the numbers 0 to 4 related to the stage?     148
What's the difference between my stage IIB breast cancer and my friend's stage IIIC breast cancer?     149
Your medical team     150
What counts as a serving?     155
Resources that may help     156
About the Internet     156
Cancer information and services     156
Help with paying medical bills and other costs     157
Help with getting treatment, mammograms, and medications     158
Traveling to treatment and places to stay     161
Wigs, prostheses, and makeup     162
Support for you and your loved ones     163
How you can help others     165
Glossary     166
Endnotes     170
Books published by the American Cancer Society     172

Books about: Voice and Vision or Network Exam Prep 2

Men's Health Best Turn Fat into Muscle

Author: Editors of Mens Health

Men everywhere want to improve their health and fitness--and their bodies. This new series of books, Men's Health Best, addresses all aspects of a man's physical fitness, from building core strength to managing sports injuries. Authoritative, affordable, handsomely produced and extensively illustrated, these 96-page books are the perfect guide to achieving strength, fitness, and well-being.

Men's Health Best: Turn Fat into Muscle gives you a complete program for losing weight, building muscle, burning fat, controlling cholesterol, and keeping your heart, head, and hormones working right. Learn to lose weight and become the shape you want to be--all at the same time!



No comments:

Post a Comment